Comments on the Requirements

Topics: Developer Forum
Developer
Aug 15, 2006 at 11:59 PM
Was reading through http://www.codeplex.com/Wiki/View.aspx?ProjectName=ForumsToolbar&title=High%20Level%20Requirements

And figured I'd leave my 2 cents.

Feature Ranking
Why is searching a P2? Isn't one of the biggest forum limitations and top moderator activity searching on existing threads? Or maybe I'm wrong about that.

Is question assigment something that people outside of MS would really like to do? IE... would rene really want to assign question over to peter as opposed to just moving it to a forum he looks at.

The knowledge navigotor... what would seperate that from just creating a FAQ wiki that anyone can post to and organize? How valuable is that over just the social bookmarking of important threads?

Maybe I'm very MS centric... shouldn't the "escalate to MS" button be higher on the list?

Coordinator
Aug 16, 2006 at 12:15 AM
Well, of course escalate to MS is high on the list in reality, but it does involve getting MS people on board with answering the questions. :)

I'm obviously getting Microsoft-goggles too though--is anybody interested in assigning questions to each other?
Developer
Aug 16, 2006 at 1:03 AM
I'm not so much interested in assigning questions to others as I am in being able to mark a question that I want to track. In this context, that could be like assigning it to myself. The current "My Threads" feature is too limited and I'd like a way to work around that limitation. As a forum owner I kind of own everything, but there are specific threads that I know I want to track and others that are fine on their own.

From an internal MS perspective, question assignment is already a possiblility, but why not expose the same functionality publically if possible. If a group of moderators all work the same forum, assignment would be a way for them to ensure that the "expert" in an area notices a specific thread.

I can see prioritizing "assignment of a question" as P2 as long as we pull out a better tracking mechanism and leave that as P1. Alternatively, we could harass the folks who own the forum functionality to give us better Mark and Watch functionality similar to most standard newsgroup readers.

Mike
Coordinator
Aug 16, 2006 at 2:39 PM
"Is question assignment something that people outside of MS would really like to do? IE... would rene really want to assign question over to peter as opposed to just moving it to a forum he looks at."

I don't think it's generally known who does what where. Many moderators often moderate the same forum, there's very few forums that are moderated by one or two moderators, as far as I've been able to tell.

Assignment of a question would help avoid stepping on toes, repetition of work, as well as ensure a question gets attention as soon as possible.

Moderators are volunteers; but we don't want to waste our time.
Coordinator
Aug 16, 2006 at 2:40 PM
"I'm not so much interested in assigning questions to others as I am in being able to mark a question that I want to track. In this context, that could be like assigning it to myself."

I use "Alert me" to track threads that I'm not yet actively involved in.
Coordinator
Aug 16, 2006 at 7:56 PM
No reason that we can't have our cake and eat it too...we could easily be able to allow you to assign question to yourself.