What Should the UI Be?

Topics: Developer Forum
Coordinator
Aug 14, 2006 at 11:51 PM
I've added a wiki page, for your enjoyment, to check out a few proposed design paradigms for this project. If you could read through, and just offer your thoughts in line, I'd be much obliged. Thanks!

http://www.codeplex.com/Wiki/View.aspx?ProjectName=ForumsToolbar&title=Possible%20UI%20Designs%20for%20the%20Moderators%20Toolset
Coordinator
Aug 15, 2006 at 12:19 AM
I've added my comments inline to this document.

http://www.codeplex.com/Wiki/View.aspx?ProjectName=ForumsToolbar&title=Possible%20UI%20Designs%20for%20the%20Moderators%20Toolset
Developer
Aug 15, 2006 at 10:52 PM
If we architect the solution properly we can support all of them.

A core foundation that handles the business logic and webservice calls written in .Net 2.0

A COM based wrapper for a Toolbar that accesses the core.

A Winforms UI

and a WPF UI ;)

We can divide the work into components and people can jump in to a component that they specialize/are interested in.
Coordinator
Aug 16, 2006 at 12:19 AM
Yep--I think that's the best idea. For now, let's concentrate on the data-tier services that we are going to need to make this successful.

I'd really push towards making web services that enable all of these different UIs.
Coordinator
Aug 16, 2006 at 3:10 PM
Agreed. It's likely we'll have to parse HTML for some of our value-added functionality.

Any thoughts on trying to push as much of that into it's own physical component like a Web Service? If this web service resided on msmoderators.com, that would mean msmoderators.com would be accessing the forums via HTTP... Not without it's own set of hurdles (Live ID login, etc.); but, would allow us to get to a recommended architecture sooner to avoid coupling everything (if only indirectly) to client-side HTML parsing. Yes, we can decouple all the client-side HTML parsing to a physically separated client-side component; but, if the goal is to push as much functionality off the client into a server, the work involved in integrating with that client-side HTML parsing engine would have to be re-written anyway.
Coordinator
Aug 16, 2006 at 7:52 PM
Could you describe a bit more on the type of HTML parsing you think is going to be necessary?
Coordinator
Aug 16, 2006 at 11:51 PM
Best case is we'll have to parse the meta tags.

Some other features that currently would require parsing HTML to a certain degree:
  • Current list of forums
  • value-added searching
  • bulk post processing
  • processing of tags
  • display of data in local time instead of UTC
  • canned reply to post
  • etc.