ForumsSearch project setup

Topics: Developer Forum
Coordinator
Aug 10, 2006 at 10:03 PM
I got VS2005 pro with VSTF client installed. I fetched the latest version of ForumsSearch.

I can build it but there is an CodeAnalysis error. Anyone have an idea what is going on? Did I miss something or need to set something up?

As this thread suggest, it might not be possible for me with pro+client.
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=135578&SiteID=1

Here is the error.
The "CodeAnalysis" task failed unexpectedly.
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Microsoft.Build.Tasks.CodeAnalysis.GenerateFullPathToTool()
at Microsoft.Build.Tasks.CodeAnalysis.Execute()
at Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.TaskEngine.ExecuteTask(ExecutionMode howToExecuteTask, Hashtable projectItemsAvailableToTask, BuildPropertyGroup projectPropertiesAvailableToTask, Boolean& taskClassWasFound)
Coordinator
Aug 11, 2006 at 3:54 AM
Hmm...I think that's because it uses the Team Tools stuff that's only available in the Team versions of Visual Studio. We really don't want everyone to have to have that, so I turned off the Code Analysis for the project...it should build now with the newly checked in version of the code.
Coordinator
Aug 11, 2006 at 5:12 PM
I was able to build before too but the codeanalysis error made it appear as it was not successful.

Works fine now.
Coordinator
Aug 14, 2006 at 8:44 PM
Does the Code Analysis team know about this? I would expect with teams where only a select people have Team editions (some have pro/std/express) having a null object exception appear during build would be a bad thing. I.e. if a team lead creates a project/selection with Team Edition Architect it should ignore Code Analysis settings--much the same way a pro install would ignore a unit test project)
Coordinator
Aug 14, 2006 at 8:46 PM
Andreas, you haven't installed Team Suite that came with MVP? :-)
Coordinator
Aug 14, 2006 at 10:11 PM
By the way, we do want to make sure that we are using tools in such a way that you do not need a version of Visual Studio "greater" than the Express editions. My team has specifically been using freely downloadable tools for our Power Toys to enable community contributions--NUnit for testing, the free FxCop for Code Analysis, and WiX for installers.
Coordinator
Aug 14, 2006 at 11:05 PM
I recall there being a VS project in the Managed Stack Explorer solution that VS Pro didn't recognized... I thought it was a unit testing project; but, I do remember there being some NUnit scripts/batches running in the build; so, I could be wrong about the project type. I've bumped up to Team Suite; so, I can't confirm.
Coordinator
Aug 15, 2006 at 4:59 PM
The Managed Stack Explorer project should be buildable using VS Express, NUnit, Wix, and the freely downloadable FxCop.
Coordinator
Aug 15, 2006 at 8:46 PM
Peter,

I didn't get any Team Suite, did you?
Coordinator
Aug 15, 2006 at 11:16 PM
If you are an MVP, you should have an MSDN subscription, and you'll have Team Suite available to you.
Coordinator
Aug 16, 2006 at 1:55 PM
Andreas, Joe. You have the option of choosing a not-for-resale, complimentary copy of MSDN Visual Studio Team Suite, TechNet, or neither (yes, there are many reasons why you might not want to accept either).

But, yes, we need to make sure this project can compile with Express editions.

Joe, MSE compiled fine with Pro; there was just that one project. I assumed it was created for use with Team Suite; falling back to NUnit where needed. Which is fine, I would like to use Team Suite abilities over open-source counterparts, when possible, while still supporting the open-source counterparts... it gets a bit hairy to manage...
Coordinator
Aug 17, 2006 at 7:45 AM
I got to choose from VS2005 Pro and TechNet, with the option for none. :)