Tagging Prototype Uploaded to Source Control

Topics: Developer Forum
Coordinator
Aug 26, 2006 at 12:20 AM
Hey everybody:

I've written a small little prototype using the del.icio.us API to demo how we could do social tagging against the forums. Go ahead and download the source code and build the tool--it's in the Test directory under "Delicious Test".

You'll need an account on "del.icio.us" to login (just go to their site and register). When the tool starts, the little login window is behind the main form--it's a bug that needs fixed. You must login before using the tool. If you haven't used del.icio.us before, you won't see anything happen when you hit "connect". You need to find the post ID for a forum thread that you want to tag, and other annoyances...but this is a start.

What do people think? Could this be cool? Could we also use this for question assignment?
Developer
Aug 26, 2006 at 6:45 AM
For who wants to test this prototype feature, you can use this del.icio.us account :

UserName : MFMT (means Microsoft Forums Moderators Toolset)
Password : testthisprototype

Regards,
Moayad
Developer
Aug 26, 2006 at 7:07 AM
I tested that prototype project and it worked, CONGRATULATIONS :)

I changed the code to show the login form as a dialog form (not a normal one) to fix that bug (login window is behind the main form).
Coordinator
Aug 26, 2006 at 7:49 PM
I just tried it! This is cool stuff and probably could be used.

Is there any possibility to assign values to tags?

For me it would make for sense to search for "PostAssignedTo" tags with the value "AndreasJohansson" to find posts assigned to me than "PostAssignedToAndreasJohansson" tags.
Coordinator
Aug 27, 2006 at 7:02 AM
So, this is a bit of a hack, but you could make tags into name-value pairs if you wanted to by "encoding" the data in the string for the tag. For example, let's say I wanted to make a tag that assigned a difficultly level of "3" to a post. We could write the client app in such a way that it would tag the post with a tag something like:

MSDNForums.DifficultyLevel.3

For a difficulty level of 6, just tag it:

MSDNForums.DifficultyLevel.6

This could all be hidden from the user by having the toolbar or whatever client we end up writing being smart and parsing the text of the tag.
Coordinator
Aug 31, 2006 at 4:30 PM
Joe, I can't see to get the tagging prototype to do anything except get tags from del.icio.us.

Maybe you can post some usage notes?